Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Love God with Your Whole Heart?




Lately, I've been reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan.  I thought the book was going to be about how much God loves us.  But the last couple chapters that I've read have been about being "lukewarm".  Truthfully, I've never really considered what "lukewarm" might mean.  There are many things from this book (and I'm only a little over halfway through it) that I would like to share.  Here are some of the paragraphs concerning "lukewarm" Christians.  As I write this, I pray that God will open up hearts as He is opening up mine to receive His truth. 

From "Crazy Love"

Lukewarm people say they love Jesus, and He is, indeed, a part of their lives.  But only a part.  They give Him a section of their time, their money, and their thoughts, but He isn't allowed to control their lives.

Lukewarm people love God, but they do not love Him with all their heart, soul, and strength.  They would be quick to assure you that they try to love God that much, but that sort of devotion isn't really possible for the average person; it's only for pastors and missionaries and radicals.

Lukewarm people do not live by faith; their lives are structured so they never have to.  They don't have to trust God if something unexpected happens-they have their savings account.  They don't need God to help them-they have their retirement plan in place.  They don't genuinely seek out what life God would have them live-they have life figured and mapped out.  The truth is, their lives wouldn't look much different if they suddenly stopped believing in God.

Did you read that last sentence?  Their lives wouldn't look much different if they suddenly stopped believing in God.  At that, my heart cried out, what are we doing?  What am I doing?  Our lives should be ordered with God as our first priority.  Are we here on earth to build a life of comfort and joy for ourselves?  No, we are here to love God and make disciples.  I don't want to make it to Heaven some day and realize that I missed the point of life. 

Lord, change me!  Make my life what you intended it to be!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing! I pray that you are loving your walk with God!