Friday, July 13, 2012

Faith Without Works


I had the privilege of attending a church that we have recently starting visiting on Wednesday nights.  The sermon was about "faith without works".  As I sat on the edge of my seat, diligently trying to soak in what that pastor was saying, I realized that I couldn't remember ever hearing this preached and truly explained. 

What are "works"?  This is something that I've given little thought.  So, if someone had asked me what works were before this service, I probably would have said serving in the church or leading someone to Christ.  But have you considered that works are "doing" the Word?  Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. James 1:22  As I dwelled on this, here are a few things that came to mind....

Tithing - A work.  The Word says to bring our tithes to the storehouse. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.(Malachi 3:10) You can believe it.  Or you can do it (tithe = a work).

Praying for the Sick or Asking for Prayer - A Work.  Pray, therefore doing the Word and ask for prayer, therefore doing the Word.  Is one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.  James 5:14

Live Your Life by Faith - A Work.  It's one thing to say that you live by faith, and another to actually do it.  We live by faith, not by sight.  2 Corinthians 5:7

Take a few minutes to think through the concept of "works".  Are you a doer of the Word, or a hearer?  Did you notice that James 1:22 says that you would be deceived if you merely listen to the Word but do not take action. 

 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:17


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing! I pray that you are loving your walk with God!