Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Giving with a Joyful Heart


Are you a joyful giver?  I always thought I was....I have tithed since I started walking with God and we give to various ministries on a monthly basis.  I'm not frustrated when I write the checks.  I give knowing that is what God asks of me and that He always provides.

The other day as I was writing a couple checks for graduation gifts, the thoughts were rolling in my mind that we had just given several birthday gifts and Mother's Day gifts.  I was becoming frustrated as I was reminded that more birthdays are coming up and so is Father's Day.  And I heard Him speak to me...are you giving joyfully?

Well, of course not.  For some reason, giving to God through tithing and offerings comes easily to me.  I do it joyfully!  But, I believe that I am often, not every time, but often frustrated with the miscellaneous gifts that must be purchased.  As I am writing this post, I can feel encouragement rising in me.  I have been giving with the wrong mind set.  And, guess what?  Now I'm getting a break through that I didn't even know I needed.  God is awesome!

So, what is the break through?  I was not giving God control in this area of giving.  Was I trusting Him with our finances concerning giving gifts?  No, and it is obvious to me that I wasn't trusting God in this area because I was feeling very frustrated.  If I was trusting God to provide a blessing for us to be able to give the gifts, then I would have peace and joy.  Instead, I was mad at whoever decided to put Mother's Day and Father's Day so close together on the calendar!

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:6-7

God wants me (and you) to be a cheerful giver not only when giving to the church, but also when giving to your family and friends!  


1 comment:

  1. Great post, Trina! It really made me re-evaluate my own attitude towards the current cluster of holiday/birthday/graduations we're going through and the strain that it's putting on our finances. You're so right. God takes care of all those things when we trust Him. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing! I pray that you are loving your walk with God!