Saturday, March 10, 2012

Words - Powerful or Not?

I hear people say or write often that basically actions speak louder than words.  While I completely agree that if you say something positive, but do not follow through with actions, your words are meaningless.  However, in the process of emphasizing the importance of your actions, I wonder if we sometimes lessen the importance of words. 

Words are powerful, whether the words are positive, negative, spoken or written.  In the technological age that we live in, it appears that written words are becoming a large part of our communication system.  (ie. email, texting, blogging, Facebook, etc.)  Words have the power to create life and death.  Just take a look at the first book of the Bible, Genesis.  God did some amazing things with the words that he spoke. 

We all need to be conscious of the words that we speak to others.  You have the power to speak life to someone, to lift them up, to encourage them and to bring forth good things in their lives by the positive words that you speak forth. I am praying that God guards my mouth and teaches me to speak forth life to others everyday as I travel onward on my walk with God.


The power of life and death are in the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it.  Proverbs 18:21

A word fitly spoken and in due season is like apples of gold in settings of silver.  Proverbs 25:11

Out of the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks.  The good man from his inner good treasure flings forth good things, and the evil man out of his inner evil storehouse flings forth evil things.  Matthew 12:34-35

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing! I pray that you are loving your walk with God!